Practical Approaches for Teachers This practical resource book familiarizes teachers, staff developers, and administrators with the latest thinking on alternatives to traditional assessment. It also prepares them to implement authentic assessment in the ESL/bilingual classroom and to incorporate it into instructional planning.
- A solid, research-based framework linking assessment to instruction.
- Specific issues in the assessment of English language learners.
- Practical approaches for using portfolios, self-assessment, and peer assessment, accompanied by guidelines for grading practices.
- Practical, effective strategies for assessing oral language proficiency, reading, writing, and the content areas.
- Reproducible scoring rubrics, checklists, and anecdotal record forms that can be adapted for local assessment needs.