This revision of the classical practical handbook A Short Course in Teaching Reading Skills combines reading theory with practical classroom application. An invaluable resource to the reading teacher, teacher-in-training, or administrator who wants to stress quality reading comprehension instruction, the principles apply to teenage through adult learnerers who already have basic decoding skills.
- Part I defines the reading process, reviews recent research, and models an ESL/EFL reading course.
- Part II outlines why and how to set up an extensive reading program.
- Part III describes and models how to teach effective reading skills.
- Part III also includes intensive reading lessons that enable students to strategically apply reading skills.
- Appendices include high frequency word lists and common collocations in academic texts.